Monday, May 3, 2010

Creeping along...

...UNDER the trailer!

Brian is almost finished installing the waste water plumbing under the trailer. This fun task involved drilling holes through the frame members. (Caution: falling metal shavings are hot!) Could someone please pass ANOTHER drill bit?  He also installed the new vent pipe for the gray water tank.

I insulated the bottom of the trailer. I think the R-13 vapor barrier (read=covered in plastic/not itchy for me) insulation has been my favorite to work with. It has gone in the fastest, of the three insulations, by far. Maybe it has something to do with the staple gun attachment for the air compressor...too bad the staple gun wasn't an option for the anti-gravity insulation on the inside of the trailer.

Brian bravely and courageous took apart our infamous Bargman L-77 door handle. (Briefly, for the non-vintage-Airstreamers, this handle was only used for a couple of years. They have a tendency to break off. Currently, there are no replacements. If you're lucky, you can find a new/old stock handle. Those usually run in the neighborhood of $400-$500. Gulp!) We purchased a new lock cylinder for our handle. It will still be broken off but since Brian cleaned it the lock functions wonderfully. (Now we have a key for it too, hooray!)

 We are prepping the trailer for installing the belly pan. The aluminum is supposed to come in some time this week.  To this end, we put in the remaining elevator bolts in the front of the trailer and (almost)  finished the C-channel.   Brian replaced the 12 gauge steel panel at the front of of the trailer that connects the skin to the frame. (It may sound like a small task, but it wasn't. Bending the steel was an ADVENTURE.)
Off and on this week, I worked on polishing the trailer. I'm supposed to be polishing around the windows so that we can re-install them. Somehow, I've managed to stall-out on the front panel instead. I'm pretty sure this panel is going to be the hardest to polish. Corrosion, probably from a leaky battery, has messed it up pretty bad. We were considering replacement for the whole panel.  Now, we are going to try to save it.  A good portion of the panel will be covered with a new battery box so the polish doesn't have to be perfect.  The corrosion is coming off...slowly.

 Check out these dedicated hands!  (Two fingers are taped up, his pinkie is bruised under the nail, and he has a cut on his right hand.)  We made a record 3 trips to the home store on Saturday.  While we we there, we picked up two pairs of nice working gloves  (Fit to size.)  Our hands are thanking us.

It's warming up in Georgia. 
We couldn't agree on a caption for this photo so I'm providing two.
Me: It's our redneck air conditioner.
Brian: At least it's not as ugly as a MaxxAir fan.

(insert your own caption here)


  1. Ah, the dreaded L-77. LOL

    It is amazing how much y'all have done in such a short time. Your rewards will be great!

  2. You're really cooking! Man, I sure could have used a creeper for doing my frame work. Would have been nice to have an indoor space instead of my driveway, too! :)

    You guys are moving fast, I think you're going to make your June deadline with at least a nice aluminum tent, and likely better than that.


  3. Tech tip: when you're bandaging a cut with electrical tape, put a layer of masking tape under that to keep it 'sterile.' I don't recommend super glue; it wears off too easily.