- after we gutted the trailer, before we took the walls out
- before we put the walls back in the trailer
- and again
- endcaps (2-3 times) after they were installed in the trailer
Sometime not long after we installed the skins we started thinking about ordering our paint. We first tried the paint supply place that was right next door to the warehouse we rented at the beginning of our restoration. They had a set of Zolatone samples. We also looked online for a place to buy paint. We called a couple more chain stores in town. Finally, we settled on the local paint supply store. They had the best price. Before Brian made the order he called Zolatone to get specific part numbers. Zolatone is in the middle of changing their epoxy primer. The old primer isn't available. The new stuff isn't available yet either. They suggested we use any expoxy primer. (Okay, if you say so.) We ordered the paint and expected it to arrive in 10 days.
Next, we wiped down the walls. Four times. It might sound a little excessive but our rinse water was
extremely dirty; aditionally, I was afraid stripper residue might interfere with paint adhesion. We use a TSP cleaner and then followed with a rinse, twice.
Our paint came in. Sigh. We still (after a month of searching Craigslist) didn't have a conventional paint gun with the appropriate size tip. We ordered one. It was supposed to be a rainy weekend anyway. We decided to work on the floor instead.